Saturday, August 25, 2007

License (Plate) to Drive


Two big things on the road to legality...

#1: I FINALLY PUT MY LICENSE PLATE ON
So, at last, Julep could leagally hit the pavement... From now on, it's no more grass for her. I took her out on Thursday and Friday. I rode the square block around the HS football field... a fairly quiet area just off the street where she's garaged. I stalled a couple times that first day out, and got honked at by an impatient person when I took too long to take off from a corner. Oh, well. But, there was some attention paid that was not negative... I met Salvatore, Nereida's Italian neighbor, who said he saw them a lot in the old country – he never had one, but his brother had... : ) A pizza guy also stopped to ask me about it... And of course, there are always the little dogs that get strangely excited at the sight of the scooter. Luckily, they were all on leashes this time! Things to work on: getting my speed up more quickly, and matching my gears to road speed (especially when downshifting). Then, I can venture beyond the safe-zone.

#2: I PASSED MY MOTORCYCLE TEST TODAY!!!
I re-took the second session of the rider course this morning. I was so nervous when I first arrived. I was sitting in the car practically shaking. Then I said to myself, "So WHAT if I fail? REALLY?" After that, I went out to meet Dan and Beth. I can't believe how much better this session went. I think it was because of my cumulative knowledge from the previous classes, the experience of riding Julep a bit, and finally getting the friction zone. I think I was scared to use the throttle before, that was why I kept stalling out. I was generous with it from the start this time. I think I may have stalled once (ok, maybe twice). Dan and Beth and I chatted it up between exercises and cheered eachother on and just had a lot of fun. And yay! We all passed!!!

5 comments:

  1. Vicky I have to admit I'm completely envious with a slight smirk of joy for you. Congrats sis. Lynne was the one who told me you had gotten the motorino. I was like WHHHHHHHHHHAAATTTTT! That's my car of choice! I tried and I tried but no cigar.

    Now you gotta get that ipod mixer we were talking about. Put that in a bag, arrive at the gig with Stella and play. Illness!

    Love sis, copngratulations on the plate and the license. Right on ride on. peace, Rubens

    ReplyDelete
  2. We passed! Thanks for leaving out the part where I bit Beth's head off cause of the nerves :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray! Nice job smuggs. Julep is looking sweet all legal-like. Not long before I see her parked next to Pistol Pete in the DM parking lot now... LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grace Melone says . . .
    wow, you passed the test. my mom is really proud of you. she wants to know when you're coming over to change my diapers? and can my graco car seat fit on the back?

    ReplyDelete