Monday, August 13, 2007

Back in the Saddle (Julep Rides Again)


(Yes, that is, in fact, me, captured on camera phone)

The past two Tuesdays and Saturdays I took the Motorcycle Safety Course. Pete took the class with me in hopes that Nereida will let him get a bike someday (soon!). Tuesday evenings are in the classroom, culminating in a 50-question multiple choice test. Saturdays are on the riding range, and end with the riding skills test. If you pass both tests, you earn your motorcycle endorsement.

I have mixed emotions about the course. I thought the pace was a little fast for someone who has never been on a motocycle before. I went away from the first Saturday of riding pretty discouraged... not to mention, tired, hot and with a throbbing headache. Five hours in 90-degree weather fully covered from head to toe with helmet, long sleeves, jeans, full-fingered gloves, and boots, can do that to ya. But by the end of the second riding class (after not passing the skills test – those dang figure eights!), I actually felt more confident about riding. I was certainly not a pro, but I was learning.

Which brings me to today. After work, Pete and I walked Julep down to a local grass (read:weeds) playing field (Well, really, Pete pushed her, and I just followed leisurely behind). Now, every time we have passed this field, it has been COMPLETELY empty. Of course, not tonight. First, there was someone walking their dog... Then came a family with two unleashed little dogs and two boys kicking a soccer ball around... Needless to say, this got me nervous, because I didn't want to have to try out the book method for averting an attacking dog. (And no, the proper method is NOT to kick it!)

Finally, Pete got tired of my doe-in-the-head-lights stance, and got on the back and made me turn the throttle. And we slowly traveled across the field. After this, I was a little more comfortable with the throttle, and went back and forth a few times stopping at each end of the field. I was going so slowly, that the speedometer didn't even move. Then, I got nervy, and tried my hands at turning (which was where I had my incident the first time I rode). It was fine! Next, I tried shifting into second. After a little nervousness, it was easy. I rode around a while shifting into first and second, stopping, weaving in and out between cans and bottles, and doing crazy eigthts and circles. Then for my last hoorah of the evening, I decided to try out third gear. I rode across the field, shifting into second, looped around, shifted into third, gained some speed, then down shifted before coming to a stop. All in all, I don't think I even hit 15mph.

I have to say, I think the Stella is easier to ride than the motorcycle (I rode a Suzuki GZ 250). I think I already prefer shifting with the left hand rather than the foot. Turning seems easier (possibly because of the lower center of gravity), and overall, it doesn't seem as physically demanding. I feel so much better after tonight. Thanks for pushing me Pete.

To quote Albert Einstein, from the great film, I.Q.,
"Wahooooooo!"

5 comments:

  1. AMAZING! Are you sure thats you...you look like a little girl I know. Anyway, we are very proud of you. We knew you could do it all along. BTW, this Nereida person sound amazing especially with allowing her husband (Pete is it) to take time away from what I'm sure is a lovely family to teach you.
    Keep us posted on your next adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheesh; that last post had me tearing up.
    Awesome job, Vick! That picture actually looks like a screen shot from an old Technicolor film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. see, you're doing great- you stuck with it and now you can do figure 8s AND shift into second. that's so cool! and i love the picture too- it looks really old. yay julep & vicki! you're brave. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go girl. There's always a spot for Julep in the DM parking lot amongst the rebel motorcycle crew. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can hardly wait to meet Julep in person.
    I also can hardly wait to ride on rollercoasters with you guys this weekend. Wahoo indeed!

    ReplyDelete